Friday 24 July 2015

One week later....here I am!


Yes, thanks to all your encouragement in comments on my last post, I'm here a week later. 
 It's amazing how accountability helps to keep you on track  
Well, it works for me anyway!




What a week it's been.  The big story being that we had twins!  Alright then, it wasn't exactly WE, but one of our cows.  To cut a long story short...I was walking back from the cattle yards on dusk in the freezing cold, wind blowing half a gale. My eyes were drawn to ripples on the dam...not duck type ripples...no, they were bigger than that.  I went to investigate.  It was a calf close to the dam wall but bobbing in the water.  Yells, screams and next thing I know hubby is stripping off and heading into the freezing cold water, grabbing the little calf and pulling him up onto the bank. It was really hard work for him, and exhausting.  I ran home for old towels and, puffing and panting, we rubbed him down, leaving the head so that the mother would recognise the smell of her calf.
We were worried because it was so very cold, but nature is incredible and this tired little calf  was up and drinking from his Mum next morning, along with his sister. Unfortunately, no chance for photos, too much going on, but I do have one of the little fella a couple of days later.




This last photo is the dam at sunrise just a few days after the drama unfolded.  
All calm as if nothing had ever happened.  
This is how life is, one thing after another, 
up then down, crazy then calm, despair then delight.  
Just as it should be.
~~~~

I hope your week has been more up than down, more calm than crazy.  
Tell me about it.  I'd love to hear...

Bye for now 

30 comments:

  1. Lucky you saw the little fellow. Nature is wonderful isn't it? Sometimes I think we humans are far too molly-coddled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right there Anne, they sure are tough. I don't think I'd like to swap my warm place beside the fire to be out in the paddock though!

      Delete
  2. What a heart warming tale, beautiful photos, and big congratulations on being here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rosemary, on all counts! It's good to know you're looking out for me.

      Delete
  3. Tank you for your comment! Your blogg and photos are so fantastic! I will take the time to see a lot more of it after spending the weekend in another place. And my daughter also lives in Australia! She says its cold down there.
    /Cia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting that your daughter lives in Australia Cia! She's right it has been very cold recently and I hear we are in for a bit more starting tomorrow. I look forward to learning more about where you are through your lovely blog. Enjoy your weekend away.

      Delete
  4. Oh Jane, you saved his life and to think that you have twins. Great news.
    Enjoy your weekend

    Helenx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exciting isn't it Helen? You have a lovely weekend too!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. A good news story always lifts the spirits doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. How so very fortunate that you noticed the calf. The outcome might not have been so lovely had you not been walking just then.

    Lovely photos as always Jane. The beauty that you capture with your camera is breathtaking. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Lynda, it was pure luck that I noticed the calf and so close to dark. I think we really should fence of the dams but that's another job to add to the never-ending list isn't it? I know you know the feeling.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful story and love the photo of the special calf. Life can be like that indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. You never know what's around the corner do you.

      Delete
  8. So enjoy your beautiful photography and hearing all about the twins was certainly a bonus! I always love a good fog image and yours with all the layering is superb. Also, that first image is breathtaking! Love when something so ordinary can be so outstanding! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! We are surrounded by the ordinary every day, and I think that photography for me helps to make it a bit more special.

      Delete
  9. Twins! How exciting for you. Congratulations for the proud mother.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amalia...they are growing well and mother is happy x

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos! I too love when something ordinary can be so outstanding at the same time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes Lisa, it's good to see things in another light isn't it?

      Delete
  11. Nature is miraculous, glad you were there just in time so that you and your husband could save the calf and is not it exciting to see the twins happy with their mother the other morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Janneke. What you would call a win win situation!

      Delete
  12. Hi Jane, it is so grand that you were there to see him and yell for help, and your hubby, he's a hero . . . I hope you brought towels for him, too and rubbed him down and warmed his cold old bones. Twins! That's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes Connie, all good and 'hero hubby' had extra care too! :)

      Delete
  13. Dear Jane
    Such beautiful photos - that misty one is so dreamy, and the one of the grass - did you have to lay down to get that one. Beautiful. Blimey, what a to do with the calf - glad it all turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's good that both calves are going splendidly now Elaine. I put on my waterproofs and got 'down and dirty' as my Mum said the other day...(I think she watches too much Dancing with the Stars or something...she's way too modern for me!)

      Delete
  14. In your final images everything looks so calm have the drama you have had this week. I'm glad that you were there and hubby was able to save it. Hope this week is a bit more relaxing! Those images are all fantastic. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah...yes I'm looking forward to watching the grass grow and hopefully that will be as dramatic as it gets for this week! x

      Delete
  15. Glittering gold, mysterious mists and a moving birth story. Thank you for this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amélie, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and thank you for taking the time.
I really do appreciate it.