Wednesday 12 September 2012

Oh Still Small Voice of Calm


I have added these words from John Greenleaf Whittier to a photo of mine.  
The words form part of the hymn "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind"  
I hope you love it as much as I do.





Dear Lord and Father of Mankind
is a hymn with words taken from a longer poem,
 The Brewing of Soma by American Quaker poet John Greenleaf Whittier


Dear Lord and Father of mankind,
Forgive our foolish ways!
Reclothe us in our rightful mind,
In purer lives Thy service find,
In deeper reverence, praise.

In simple trust like theirs who heard
Beside the Syrian sea
The gracious calling of the Lord,
Let us, like them, without a word
Rise up and follow Thee.

O Sabbath rest by Galilee!
O calm of hills above,
Where Jesus knelt to share with Thee
The silence of eternity
Interpreted by love!

With that deep hush subduing all
Our words and works that drown
The tender whisper of Thy call,
As noiseless let Thy blessing fall
As fell Thy manna down.

Drop Thy still dews of quietness,
Till all our strivings cease;
Take from our souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
The beauty of Thy peace.

Breathe through the heats of our desire
Thy coolness and Thy balm;
Let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;
Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,
O still, small voice of calm!


And if you would like to listen to this lovely hymn click on the link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqOnjmr9Ah0&feature=player_detailpage

9 comments:

  1. Dear Jane,
    this is a beautiful hymn which breathes calm and takes away stress - I like it! And your photograph of the dew drop is simply stunning - thank you for both! Britta

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: You might like the poem 'Wild Geese' by Mary Oliver on www.burstingwithhappiness.blogspot.de - though different from yours it has a certain atmosphere of calmness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words Britta. I am glad you enjoy it. You are right, the poem Wild Geese is very lovely and calming and you have some beautiful photos. Bye for now Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Jane, thank you . . . I needed this. I've had a couple of very hard days and to start my morning off being reminded of the mercies and love of my Lord is just what I needed to be grounded in the truth and not in my circumstances.
    You have blessed me and for that I thank you,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Connie, Thank you. I feel for you and hope that today is a brighter day for you. Your blog is always such a cheerful place to visit:) Kind wishes Jane

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Jane...brings some semblance of peace into this crazy world - the photo is amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Welcome Mar, how lovely of you to say that, and yes, I know what you mean. It is nice to take a few moments of calm occasionally xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful places and beautiful photos! Thanks for visiting and your comments Jane. Don't forget to put your fb MoM pic on the lorikart blog too:) I am going around in circles trying to remember where to put what at the moment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Lori! Don't forget to..... b r e a t h e......:)Jane

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and thank you for taking the time.
I really do appreciate it.