I have added these words from John Greenleaf Whittier to a photo of mine.
The words form part of the hymn "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind"
I hope you love it as much as I do.
- Dear Lord and Father of Mankindis a hymn with words taken from a longer poem,
- Dear Lord and Father of mankind,
- Forgive our foolish ways!
- Reclothe us in our rightful mind,
- In purer lives Thy service find,
- In deeper reverence, praise.
- In simple trust like theirs who heard
- Beside the Syrian sea
- The gracious calling of the Lord,
- Let us, like them, without a word
- Rise up and follow Thee.
- O Sabbath rest by Galilee!
- O calm of hills above,
- Where Jesus knelt to share with Thee
- The silence of eternity
- Interpreted by love!
- With that deep hush subduing all
- Our words and works that drown
- The tender whisper of Thy call,
- As noiseless let Thy blessing fall
- As fell Thy manna down.
- Drop Thy still dews of quietness,
- Till all our strivings cease;
- Take from our souls the strain and stress,
- And let our ordered lives confess
- The beauty of Thy peace.
- Breathe through the heats of our desire
- Thy coolness and Thy balm;
- Let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;
- Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,
- O still, small voice of calm!
And if you would like to listen to this lovely hymn click on the link below.